Determine the choice of using Drupal or WordPress is not an easy matter. Each has advantages over the other. The easiest way to choose which one to use depends on what site we will make and how we like it to use. It will be dificult and not comfortable when you choose to use wordpress but you don’t like to use it.
Drupal and WordPress Common Advantage
- It’s free and open source, you can do some hack directly into the code.
- It has many modules (for Drupal), plugins (for WordPress) and a lot of beautiful theme which you can use by free
- It has many supports on official site or user forums like in this blog 🙂
- Can be used for many kinds of site like blog, magazine, article, portfolio, even online shop
- Good SEO, if you are concern about it
- Has View modules which useful to query database from GUI. You don’t need write any code to query data from database and display on the website
- Field modules (previous known as CCK modules) which give you ability to add many field as you like and display on your website.
- Create unlimited content type with diferent fields on it. For example if you run magazine site then you can create article content type, feature content type, profil content type, etc.
- Good role user management
- Has many free beautiful theme for any kinds of site
- Default nice looking wysiwyg content editor
- Good media manager which integrated with posting
Drupal is suitable for user who loves to learn web program. You can see how drupal can do anything that some other CMS can’t do.
WordPress is suitable for enduser which don’t know about web programming. It’s easy to post content, manage file, etc.
I use Drupal for complex site and WordPress for simple site like blog
The choice is yours