Microsoft has released its Windows 8 Developer Preview operating system, for PCs and tablets, to the public that you can download and try by free. Yes it’s true you can download this version absolutely free to play around with Windows 8. This release is pre beta version of Windows 8. Microsof has released this to be used by developers who are looking to make apps for the desktop and tablet OS. But the fact everyone can download this version.
Microsoft has made available three different versions of Windows 8 for download (two versions built for 64-bit systems which use new processors and can make use of more RAM, versus older 32-bit PCs that use earlier chips and less memory), which all show up as an ISO file when downloaded.
The three versions also vary in size and as an ISO file will need to be downloaded and burned to a DVD or installed on a bootable USB drive before being installed. The .iso files weigh in between 2.8 GB and 4.8 GB depending on what you’re looking for and you can install it. You can use any free DVD burner to burn Windows 8 .ISO to DVD. You can also create a bootable USB drive for Windows 8. Check the instructions here.
The three versions:
- Windows 8 Developer Preview with Developer Tools: This includes Windows SDK for creating metro style apps, Visual Studio 11 Express, and Expression Blend 5. Size of this download is 4.8 GB.
- Windows Developer Preview (64-bit): This is Windows 8 developer preview for 64-bit computers. Size of this download is 3.6 GB.
- Windows Developer Preview (32-bit): This is Windows 8 developer preview for 32-bit computers. Size of this download is 2.8 GB.
System Requirements for Installing Windows 8:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
Microsoft has said that all Windows 7 apps should work in Windows 8 on desktops and laptops, but there are no guarantees that will work perfectly.
Keep in your mind this is not final version. If you want to try please dot not install on your main computer. This version still has plenty of bugs that need to be fixed.